We’re spending Christmas on our boat. (we’re too novice to have thought to put up lights, I’m so disappointed.) I’m really very excited about it. Very quiet, very relaxed. We’ll leave Thursday night. The weather shows to be mostly mild. Thursday night will be foggy & 52`. Friday it will rain. I think that is so exciting. Friday night it will be 39`. Saturday, Christmas Day, will be 53` during the day and a chilly 28` at night.
With it raining on Friday, we’ll have the rare opportunity to do nothing. That will be refreshing! We have a live table-top tree and everything. I’m trying to decide what to bring – peppermint schnapps hot cocoa or mulled rum cider?
We are in the process of completing our renovated galley. I’m excited about this too. We used ‘Cat Hair’ fiberglass to cover the wood on the bottom with 2 layers and then TheGuy sanded and bondo’ed over that. Sanded it smooth and will put a second bondo layer on tonight followed by 2 coats of primer. Then we’ll paint it with the epoxy, install the stained wood trim and attach the microwave. I don’t know if we’ll get it finished in time to take tomorrow, but it’s getting closer to being finished. It’s going to be so cool having a galley that fits our needs. We still have some important things to complete in the next month.
This is the original list of things still needing to be done:
1. paint inside & roofs of all hatch & compartments including doors.
2. replace all seals on outside storage and hatch.
3. paint inside and roof of all unpainted storage compartments.
4. repair large ding in fiberglass on stern near motor.
5. paint engine.
6. replace table top in cabin.
Some additional things now that we’re more seasoned sailors:
1. run mainsail sheets aft to cockpit.
2. buy second anchor.
3. replace outhaul sheet.
4. replace boomvang sheet.
5. replace flag line.
6. buy italia flag.
7. rewire mast light.
8. replace control panel switches.
9. paint deck.
10. paint topsides.
11. paint hull.
12. buy trailer.
Admiral’s Log 12/06/2010
An update with the boat, no time for the sailing stuff. Starting at the front, we’ll move towards the stern bit by bit.
The forestay assembly for the jib has been repaired. The jib sheet, or rope, has been replaced. The furling line has been rerun correctly. Because we replaced the jib sheet with a fatter line, we’ve had to replace the jib pulleys. Replaced 3 turnbuckle boots so the jib sheet doesn’t rub across the shroud cables. Jib sheet is still rubbing on cables, so we have to reconfigure these. We need to bring them up to 36 inches
We re-stained all the teak, inside and out. We went with a beautiful mahogany stain. This made quite a difference in how she looks. The exterior teak will all need to be replaced next year, but this at least has her looking good until we save the money to replace it all. There is a small amount of wood rot, but considering the condition we were surprised it came out this good. Guy decided he wanted to varnish the exterior wood. I insisted that we use teak oil for the interior and it turned out great. We will see over time how the varnish on the exterior holds up. A neighbor passed him on the dock and asked if he was varnishing the wood. Guy replied yes and the neighbor said “yeah, I did that one year”, smiled and walked off. Somethings you have to learn on your own.
We have ordered a new toilet, it should be here at the end of the week. I purchased a color-coordinated toilet box & rearranged the v-berth storage, so now we officially have a bathroom. We had been storing the AC there, but since we can’t use the AC away from the dock, we put it in the dock-box. There is even hand-sanitizer and air freshener spray!
Few weeks ago, the girls agreed to sail with us and we went out for a long time. With all the beer-drinking they were doing, they all needed to use the bathroom. It was hilarious to hear the stories of the different techniques for straddled the AC to use the toilet. Being the most practical of the group, I moved the AC onto the couch when it was my turn. Almost threw my back out. As I said, we now have an official bathroom.
We’ve replaced all the hatch dog knobs. Got a new fastener for the pop-top assembly so it locks went its raised. We had been tying it off with a bungee and praying, this is safer. Repaired 3 tears in the upholstery. Scrubbed all the exterior deck fiberglass with Barkeepers Friend and a scrubbing sponge. Lightly polished exterior deck fiberglass to keep clean. Have to find a way to seal the non-skid areas after cleaning that doesn’t make it slippery. Accidently waxed one spot. Not good, continuing would make her the yacht of death.
Now on to changes we have planned. Starting from the stern and moving forward. We are in the process of redesigning the galley to accomodate the new microwave and coffee/tea maker. We’ve removed the drawer and will cut a square into the fiberglass where the alcohol stove was. Once the hole is cut we will sand all the edges straight and smooth.
We plan on sanding the rotted wood in the bottom and strengthening it with fiberglas cat hair. Then we’ll epoxy paint the inside to protect the wood from water and fiberglass paint the bottom and install a plastic slide rail where the wood one is now. Then epoxy seal it all on the bottom so it can withstand water if it has to. Then we’ll install the microwave into it and trim around it so it looks like it came that way.
We are ordering the teak for the coaming compartments this week. We also have decided to paint all of the interior compartments. We have decided on a garage floor epoxy in tan. They have colored chips that we will add to the paint for the storage compartments, to hide dirt as it protects. we’ll also do the inside of the compartment lids.